History, mission and roleFor 25 years, we’ve been building a healthier future together.
The CHUM Foundation was launched on May 1, 1998, following the merger of Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal, Hôpital Notre-Dame and Hôpital Saint-Luc and their respective foundations. Since then, CHUM Foundation donors have been the driving force behind one of the largest teaching hospitals in North America, empowering the CHUM to always be at the forefront of the latest breakthroughs and innovations.
The CHUM Foundation brings together a community of committed donors to support the CHUM, a leader in our healthcare system. Our community’s support lets us ensure that the CHUM has a complementary source of funding to drive innovation, accelerate its technological development and excel in care, research and teaching—so that no patient is left without hope.
The CHUM’s patients and care teams are the reason why our donors, volunteers, partners and employees are so committed.
From major fundraising campaigns, signature events, benefits and fundraisers to calls for donations from individuals, private foundations and businesses, we do everything we can to give the CHUM’s doctors, researchers and other professionals the means to succeed—and help the hundreds of thousands of patients who come from across Quebec and Canada to be treated in our hospital.
The impact of your generosity
Every day, your generosity changes and saves lives. Your donations make it possible for the CHUM’s teams to push the boundaries of medicine and provide world-class care right here in Quebec.
Most notably, your donations help the CHUM to:
- Acquire cutting-edge equipment and turn the latest innovations into tomorrow’s medical standards
- Advance artificial intelligence in order to provide state-of-the art care that targets specific patient profiles and needs
- Implement innovative research projects and make breakthroughs that will grow into the treatments of tomorrow
- Attract and train highly qualified young professionals who are ready to work in the healthcare system of the future
- Share its knowledge and initiatives with other hospitals, benefiting Quebec’s population as a whole
- Play a part in fundamentally changing the way care is delivered in the health system
What is the CHUM?
- An innovative hospital dedicated to serving patients, named the best hospital in Quebec and one of the world’s 100 best hospitals by Newsweek in its 2023 rankings
- 18,000 professionals, specialists, researchers, students and volunteers
- 500,000 patients every year
- A teaching hospital affiliated with Université de Montréal, devoted to care, research, teaching, promoting health and taking stock of new technologies and intervention methods in healthcare
- A hub for unique expertise, where people across Quebec and the rest of Canada come to receive specialized and highly specialized care that can be impossible to access anywhere else
A key player in research
The CHUM Research Centre is one of the largest, most advanced research centres in Canada.
Its teams are involved in everything the CHUM does as a hospital, relying on competitive infrastructure and high-tech platforms. Their objective? To constantly improve public health and healthcare by bringing breakthroughs bedside.